Thursday, October 09, 2008

Aquarium Addition : Pleco

Yesterday we added two more plants to the aquarium, as well as a Pleco which my son picked out, and has named him Spotty. The sign on the tank said Bronze Catfish, but when we went to purchase him, we found out is was a Pleco, which is also a type of catfish. Looked too cool for the $3.88 price, and sure enough he was quite a bit more, but they cut me a deal for $6. Apparently an algae eater, it likes to hide, and hang from the side of the aquarium. It may be a while before I can get any good photos of him, but here's an initial attempt, with him reflected against the glass:
Pleco reflection
Here's the tank today, with the new plants (the reddish one in front and the large green bunch behind it):
Freshwater aquarium
The next addition I'm considering, if all goes well, are some platys, which are live bearers. We saw some coral platys the other night, which were a brilliant red colour, with a touch of black on the tail. We keep seeing glass catfish, which are ultra-cool looking fish, but I read that they are a bit more difficult to keep, and want to be in a small school of 5 or more. So I don't think we're at this level. I don't even have a heated tank, nor do I perform any monitoring of water quality.
I finally got a half-decent shot of the 5 neon tetras:
Neon tetras in the aquarium
And a grainy closeup:
Neon tetra closeup
Here are a few shots of the goldfish again, first of Bubbles (isn't her form beautiful, even if her colours are not so attractive?):
Bubbles goldfish closeup
And finally, the little unnamed black/orange one:
Black / orange goldfish

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The only problem I have faced with the catfish/ suckerfish, is that they ruin the plants.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin