Saturday, August 09, 2008

Swallowtail Butterfly Photos

With my new camera this year that actually allows me to take some decent close-up photos, I've been fascinated with capturing images of the bumblebees which I adore. Here are a few of my recent favs (as always, click on the image for a larger view):
Bumblebee closeup
The bees love the globe thistle (Echinops banaticus) even more than I do (which is a lot):
Bumblebees on globe thistle flower
A couple of days ago, a swallowtail butterly flitted into the garden, and didn't seem to mind me chasing him around with the camera as he visited my many plantings of Echinacea purpurea (Purple coneflower):
Swallowtail butterfly
Swallowtail on Purple Coneflower
Swallowtail butterfly on Echinacea purpurea
Swallowtail butterfly
True to its name, the Buddleia davidii (Butterfly bush) is attractive to the Swallowtail butterfly (although the smaller white Cabbage butterfly doesn't seem to give it much attention):
Swallowtail on butterfly bush

1 comment:

Connie said...

Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a comment.
You got some great photos of the Swallowtail....they sure do love the coneflowers, don't they?

Blog Widget by LinkWithin